OPEN FOR SUBMISSIONS
Blossom Spring Publishing is one of the few publishers who accept unsolicited manuscripts (that is, those that are not presented to us by an agent and self-published authors). We accept manuscripts for fiction, non-fiction and children’s stories with illustrations.
At present we are particularly interested in the following:
- commercial women’s fiction, including historical romance and saga
- crime and psychological thrillers
- paranormal and mystery
- children’s fiction
- health & well-being
- food and drink
We do not accept
- short stories
- stories that carry a theme for one occasion only such as Christmas, Thanks Giving, Easter etc.
- work written in languages other than English
What is Blossom Spring Publishing looking for from an author?
The manuscript should have an exciting plot and be carefully planned, with an ending that is not predictable! The interest should be generated by the characters themselves, making us care about what happens to them. We desire novels that will take the reader out of the realm of everyday existence. We discourage profanity which we consider unnecessary in any credible literary work. However, a small amount of bad language is acceptable, if relevant to the character and story. We also discourage stories that exploit sexual abuse, abuse to children, extreme violence, racism and promotion of hatred. Above all, we are looking for originality.
Innovative material with a positive message, interesting and facts that have been researched thoroughly.
We look for children’s stories that are fun, exciting, engaging, educational and ideally has a moral to the story.
How To Submit Your Manuscript
If you would like us to consider your manuscript we ask that you use our online form below.
There are two possible replies you will receive from us after we have read your work.
- You will be offered a traditional publishing agreement. We do not offer an advance on sales but we will cover all publishing costs.
- You will be offered our package B publishing agreement. This is given to authors that show potential in their work, but have yet to establish a large readership and still need to polish their writing to the standard required for a traditional contract. Package B is where we ask authors to pay a token fee towards the publishing costs (This is not vanity publishing. Note that vanity publishing is when a publisher will agree to publish any standard of work and as a rule they do not offer mainstream publishing with traditional contracts. In other words, they will say yes to every submission!) and this can vary depending on the type of book you have written, but we do our very best to keep it low cost and pay as much as we can for you. By offering this agreement, it means that we are not at a complete financial loss if we take a risk on publishing your work and it doesn’t sell to our expectations. We have introduced this type of agreement with the intention of giving authors a chance, where other publishing companies would not. Furthermore, should your first book sell well, there is every chance your next book will be awarded our traditional agreement next time. Our aim is to help and nurture new writers and move them onto traditional agreements. We are always looking for a bestseller!
Before starting the form, it is recommended that you prepare the following:
- For fiction and non-fiction – a one or two page synopsis.
- All manuscripts should be in 1.5 or double line spacing and font size 12, chapters and pages also numbered with indented paragraphs. We have high regard for good presentation. Your manuscript could be turned down simply because the presentation is poor or not easy to read. Your manuscript should be sent as an attachment in Word Document or PDF file.
- Children’s stories must be submitted with illustrations. We no longer provide illustrations.
- All submissions to Blossom Spring Publishing are confidential. We carefully consider all submissions, but because of the high volume we receive, we cannot give individual feedback or editorial guidance. We will reply to you within 6 -8 weeks if we would like to read the rest of your work or would like to offer you a publishing agreement. There is no need to follow up your submission. If you don’t hear from us, it means we are unable to offer you a publishing contract at this time. Due to the volume of submissions we receive, unfortunately we are unable to reply to those we don’t wish to publish. We do read every submission sent to us and consider each one carefully.